The major-league results from this morning's MLB Rule 5 Draft in handy list form.
Because the Winter Meetings aren't quite busy enough, the MLB Rule 5 Draft is always held on the final day.
This year, that day is today.
This three-phase draft gives teams a chance at minor-league players that have a requisite number of professional seasons under their belt but lack the protection that a 40-man roster spot affords. Most of the players are unfamiliar, but every once in a while a Josh Hamilton or Johan Santana gets nabbed in the draft and ends up paying off big for the acquiring team.
Teams are not required to draft a player when there turn comes up, and many clubs elect to not take any players at all because those taken in the Major League phase are required to take a place on the team's 40-man roster.
Here's a break-down of the players taken in the major-league phase of this morning's draft:
(Teams that passed have been omitted)
Major League Phase:
- 1. Astros take RHP Josh Fields from the Red Sox
- 2. Cubs take RHP Hector Rondon from the Indians
- 3. Rockies take LHP Daniel Rosenbaum from the Nationals
- 4. Twins take RHP Ryan Pressly from the Red Sox
- 5. Indians take 1B Chris McGuiness from the Rangers
- 6. Marlins take OF Alfredo Silverio from the Dodgers
- 7. Red Sox take 2B Jeff Kobernus from the Nationals
- 10. Mets take RHP Kyle Lobstein from the Rays
- 14. DBacks take RHP Starling Peralta from the Cubs
- 15. Phillies take OF Ender Inciarte from the Diamondbacks
- 17. White Sox take SS Angel Sanchez from the Angels
- 23. Orioles take LHP T.J. McFarland from the Indians
- 24. Rangers take RHP Coty Woods from the Rockies
- 1. Astros take 1B Nate Freiman from the Padres
- 6. Marlins take LHP Brauilo Lara from the Rays