It took more than six hours to complete, and when it was over, both teams had exhausted their bullpens and were using position players as pitchers.
Other fun facts of this marathon game:
- Adrian Gonzalez went hitless in eight at-bats.
- Mark Reynolds drew four walks and did not strike out in seven at-bats.
- Cody Ross struck out five times.
- Wilson Betemit was caught stealing second base while a left-fielder was pitching
- There were 564 pitches thrown between both teams.
Lost in the novelty of a prolonged finish to a baseball game: the Red Sox have a firm hold on last place in the American League East, while the Orioles remain atop the division.
One team's pitching rotation is abysmal despite comprising big names with big contracts, while the other currently ranks second in baseball in team ERA using pitchers who you probably haven't heard of.
The Red Sox conclude their homestand at 1-5, which was supposed to serve as a reprieve that allowed them to make up ground after a tumultuous start to the season against tough teams.
It's a long season, but this proud franchise may need more than just time to turn the season around.