Roger Clemens had already announced that he was not planning to pitch after his final start with the Sugar Land Skeeters last week. But sources with familiarity with Clemens's career and personal history suggested that Clemens wasn't to be trusted with anything he said. Those sources are you and me, but they're legit.
Now, though, we have the official word from the Houston Astros, which is the only team linked to Clemens's potential comeback efforts.
Astros GM Jeff Luhnow said team has planned rotation through rest of season and doesn't include Clemens, who's not expected to play in '12— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) September 10, 2012
And it looks like the strange story of Clemens is over.
For this year, at least.
But true to form, Clemens, who has already come out of retirement three times to pitch in the majors, left open the possibility of a future comeback.
''I would have to get ready,'' Clemens said. ''It would be fun. There's no reason why I couldn't do it next year.''
You were warned.