Sunday’s big stink at the Oakland Coliseum was not the result of poor plumbing in an aging stadium, ballpark management says, but rather someone stuffing something down a pipe.
What’s more, the Coliseum’s general manager, Chris Wright, takes issue with statements by the Oakland A’s front office that the raw-sewage backup that forced ballplayers from their locker rooms Sunday was only the latest instance of a common problem.
Wright ... said there was nothing structurally wrong with the Coliseum’s plumbing — though the pipes involved in Sunday’s incident were not replaced as part of the expansion that accompanied the Oakland Raiders’ return in the 1990s.
The problem Sunday, he said, was that someone jammed something down a toilet that didn’t belong, clogging a line. The line has been cleared and it’s undamaged, he said.
Top 9 Things That Might Have Been Jammed Down a Coliseum Toilet*
9. Josh Reddick's weekly hair trimmings
8. Keith Ginter scouting reports (circa 2004)
7. Orange baseballs
6. Carlos Gonzalez evaluation (circa 2008)
5. Hideki Matsui's pornography collection
4. Football signed by Todd Marinovich and JaMarcus Russell
3. Architectural drawings for Fremont stadium plan
2. Joe Morgan's how-to manual
1. Billy Beane's playoff shit
* would have been 10 but A's can't afford the whole list